Sunday, March 1, 2009

Slumdog: A Case Of International Schizophrenia

“You will have to be a cynic or a professional spoilsport to play down Slumdog’s unprecedented success story at the Oscars”-so proclaimed an otherwise uninteresting article in the otherwise uninteresting Edit page of the otherwise uninteresting newspaper called HT. Now that’s some real tough choice, I told myself, considering neither of the two terms(actually there can be a third too-“Professional Cynic”) portray you in good light in this season of heightened celebration of anything and everything, even remotely related to SLUMS. All of a sudden, slums have acquired a whole new aura about themselves. Today, slums are chic, slums are swank. Never have the slums been so prominent in public imagination as now, and all of this courtesy a multiple Academy Award winner sub-average movie called...........You already know it unless you have slept through the past two months or you reside in a tribal village in Mozambique with no TV or newspaper, not to mention an internet connection.

I know, I might be raising a million eye-brows with this(that is if somehow, just somehow a million actually care to read this space). Had I been a celebrity, I might have been even forced to retract my statement like Mr. AB did. But unfortunately, I am not. So, I can carry on unabashedly with my not-so-popular views on something as ubiquitous as SM without running the risk of my effigies being burnt by hardcore slum-loyalists. You see, sometimes it does pay to be a common man.

In simple terms, SM happens to be one of the most mediocre movies that I have come across. Its storyline is perhaps as much convincing as the tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Cinematically, it might be better than say, Naksha. As far as that track called “Jai Ho” is concerned, any Rehman fan worth his salt would tell you where that song would come if a hierarchical list of his compositions is made. As if this was not enough, you also get to witness one of the most amusing pieces of choreography ever filmed on the big screen. Talk about stretching the limits. SM truly does it, and that too again and again. And please don’t even start me on that “Hoping against Hope!” philosophy preached by the movie. Every single Bollywood movie of the 80s does that, where the hero gets the heroine in the end despite all the odds. In nutshell, SM has all the ingredients of a just-another-movie but thanks to media dyslexia and over-hype it has achieved things which even masterpieces fail to. This world is full of ironies. SM happens to be one of them. Sigh.

P.S: Be patient. You will also start disliking SM.

9 comments:

  1. I may have not got it completely but one thing is for sure that I agree with your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...nice one...carry on!!
    Waiting for the day when 'you will be forced to retract your statement' ;).....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks very very professional sri Gaurav........
    but r u against the movie or against the slums?
    and the movie does exhibit reality to some extent....isn't it?agree with u dat oscar is too much an award for this movie.....
    but again the movie is based on a novel which means u r against the novel which means bla bla bla............
    hope to read more of u in the future....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Gunjan.
    Thanks for the very first comment on this post.Moreover, thanks for agreeing with me :)

    @ Milan
    Thanks for the appreciation.And as far as "retracting my statement" is concerned, I am also eagerly waiting for that day.At least, I would be a celebrity then! ;)

    @sam
    Neither I am against the slums nor against the reality depicted in the movie.I am only against the hype surrounding the movie. Many average and below average movies are released every year. But its only when that an average work AS average as SM starts getting so much fame and recognition, it evokes such strong feelings in me.My sole point is that SM doesn't deserve to be the success-story that it has been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice thoughts........yup the story wasn't awesome but it showed some reality.......may be it was not worth the oscars but it atleast improved the lifes of some slum children

    ReplyDelete
  6. COME ON ..tell me u din't know the reality ..u din't know wat happens in slums already...the movie is not for the indians ..us are well aware of the situation...it has won awards cos it was liked by the foriegn audience ..i only liked the first half hour of the movie ..rest of the movie cud have been better if it was not put to the commercial use ..typical bollywood movie ending

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, that was... you know the word.. 'Awesome'. I mean, get into professional writing. That was a great read. I regret delaying it so much.
    It'll be great if you keep your blog alive.
    I shall also write a post some day. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like it or not you have to agree that SM was "fresh and different" unlike most of the stale stuff that is dished out. Loved the movie personally. Dont agree with you but still have to say well written. Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Gujju Darling,
    You just said things which I would have said in a bit simple language...
    Brilliant...

    ReplyDelete